Exercising need not be reserved for the outdoors as there is plenty kids can do inside of the house to get fit! Here are just a few good ideas:
- Walk or run up and down a stairwell multiple times (skip a step for added intensity and effectiveness).
- Jump rope - yes, indoors too! Just ensure that the child has enough clearance from that cherished vase!
- Dance! Let the kids "boogie" away those calories.
- Calisthenics (push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, etc.) are great exercise and you can hold a friendly competition!
- Hula hoop where, again, clearance is key here!
- Crunches! Sure, let the kids watch TV but challenge them to do as many sit ups as they can while the commercials are on. Do this for at least one full TV program, which usually has at least 3 or 4 commercial breaks.
- Shadow boxing is a great way to work the arm, leg and core muscles while also getting the heart pumping for some nice calorie-burning cardio. And, it’s fun. Kids will have fun showing you how they can “float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.”
- Yoga (yes, for kids, too!) is great for developing body coordination and balance. Stretching helps with flexibility, which is another sign of a healthy body.